The CPD team has developed a series of Guides to provide you – our students – with comprehensive support – from exploring opportunities and networking with alumni to creating a resume, preparing for interviews and applying for positions:
How to Guides
- Career Exploration Guide: Services, assessment tools and skill building resources you can use to explore opportunities, reflect on your interests and pursue what matters to you.
- Cover Letter Guide: Learn how to structure and create cover letters that demonstrate your understanding and fit for an opportunity.
- Employer Research Guide: A curated collection of resources designed to help you research jobs, industries and organizations.
- Networking Guide: Networking is one of the most effective ways to explore and enter any field. Tips provided range from how to structure a request for an informational interview to sample questions and best practices for follow-up.
- Interviewing Guide: Being offered an interview is the culmination of your hard work, this guide will help you make the most of that opportunity and present yourself in the best possible light. Includes on how to prepare for different types of interviews.
Resume Guide: Comprehensive guide on how to create a resume, from what to include and what to leave out. Includes 12 industry-specific examples, Dartmouth Resume Template and best practices for first-year and entry-level resumes.
Information for Pursuing Specific Opportunities
- Job & Internship Guide: Overview of recommended sites for exploring jobs and internships as well as strategies to prepare for the application process.
- Diversity Directory Guide: A comprehensive directory of 150+ programs and opportunities for diverse populations, including first-generation students, women and those from historically underrepresented backgrounds and women.
- Fellowships Guide: Information on 100+ post-graduate fellowship programs in fields ranging from the arts, education and non-profits to communication, tech and science. Includes tips on researching programs and how to apply.
- International Student Guide: International students often face unique challenges due to work authorization restrictions and cultural differences; this guide includes best practices and Dartmouth resources for professional development planning.
- Rotational & Leadership Development Training Programs Guide: Direct links to the websites for 110 training programs offering full-time positions.
As some of the suggested resources in the guides are Dartmouth-specific, they require login with your Dartmouth NetID. You can access the Guides 24/7, through the DartBoard Resource Library.