November 27, 2017 to December 22, 2017
INFORMATION FOR ALUMNI & PARENTS
The Center for Professional Development and Office of Alumni Relations invite you to host a Dartmouth student this winter break for an externship program: job shadow, short-term project and/or a career day. This is a great opportunity to introduce a student from your area to your field of work, help guide and better inform their career interests, and potentially help them build a new skill set or competency. These experiences introduce alumni to potential future interns or employees, perhaps provides that extra set of hands to a key project, and helps reconnect alumni with Dartmouth and her current generation of students.
Dartmouth Externship Program for Career Exploration Descriptions:
- Job Shadow – Host a student(s) for one or multiple days to provide a glimpse of what the day in the life of your profession is like. The primary goals of a job shadow are to provide a realistic perspective of the type of work you do, to give the student a better feel of your organization's culture, and to help them explore career fit and interests. Click here to view a template for a job shadow description and suggestions on how to prepare for a job shadow. **Please note: a job shadow is exclusively a learning experience and thus is an unpaid opportunity.
- Paid Short-Term Project – Host a student for a one to four week paid project that will enhance or build a new skill set or competency (i.e. develop a PowerPoint slide deck, conduct marketing research, develop or work on an excel spreadsheet). Click here to view a template for a short-term project description. A small stipend or a minimum of $10-12/hour of work is recommended.
- Career Day – Host students for a program to learn more about your organization and career opportunities within. A career day could include a panel, tour, small group discussions, organization presentation that highlights organizational structure and culture, positions and career paths, and/or key issues/trends in the field.
Dartmouth Externship Program Host Process and Responsibilities:
- The deadline to sign up as a Dartmouth Externship Program host is Wednesday, October 11th. Students will be contacting hosts and arranging externship opportunities from Monday, October 16th through Monday, December 4th.
- The Center for Professional Development will proactively market this opportunity to the student body with a goal of many hosts being connected with a student. However, in signing up as a host we ask that you recognize that we cannot guarantee that you will be connected with a student.
- Once a student connects with you, it is your responsibility to correspond with each student, assess the student’s eligibility (suitability) and to mutually make the arrangements for an externship project.**Please note: you will specify in your profile how many students you can host and how many can email you to request hosting them.
- When making final arrangements, you agree to follow your organization’s protocols and to provide a safe environment for the student.
- Once you have finalized arrangements with a student(s), please email Patrice Vidal (Patrice.Vidal@Dartmouth.EDU) with the name of the student you are hosting. This will allow us to deactivate your Dartboard profile.
- Tell us about your successes and suggestions for future Break Opportunities by completing a survey we’ll send during the week of January 8, 2018.
Registration is now open for the Dartmouth Externship Program, click here.