Introduction

It is often said that everyone has a story to tell, but it is not every day that you get to hear someone share his or her story with you. IMAG0995I was so fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to meet Pedro Celaya, and I was even luckier to get to sit down with him and his wife, Maria and listen to Pedro recount some of the moments that changed his life.

I quickly learned Pedro can spin a yarn with the best of them. I could almost feel the bone-chilling cold that he endured and taste how delicious the burritos must have been after a long journey across the border. He had me on the edge of my seat with my eyes wide open as I listened to him recall what it was like making the transition from Altar, Sonora, Mexico to the United States.

At some point during the interview, Google Maps2.jpg I decided to scrap the formal interview questions that I had prepared, and just listen to Pedro’s amazing journey. I found that there is something very powerful about listening to someone’s story. By documenting Pedro’s story, I hope to inspire the reader.