- What country are you originally from?
- Has your family always lived in this country?
- What are your memories from home?
- What were you like as a child? What did you do for fun?
- Family structure
- What did your parents do?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What were the conditions like when you left?
- When did you leave? How old were you when you left?
- As a child, had you heard of the U.S. before? What was your impression of it?
- Who decided you would come here? Why?
- Did you want to leave?
- Why did they choose the U.S. and not somewhere else?
- What means of transportation did you take?
- Whom did you travel with?
- Who did you leave behind?
- How did you prepare for your trip?
- How did people treat you when they knew you were leaving for the U.S.?
- Do you think your life would have been different if you had stayed? How so?
ARRIVAL IN THE U.S.
- Where did you settle when you first came to the U.S.?
- Who did you stay with?
- Did you know people from your home country who were also living in this area?
- What languages did you speak before you came?
- What was your experience learning English?
- How did you lifestyle change when you came here?
- What was your first impression of the U.S.? How has that changed?
- How were you treated when you first arrived? Has that changed?
- What languages did you speak when you first came here?
- What were your hopes for yourself when you came here?
- Job in California?
- Move to New York?
- Current Work
- Do you visit your country often?
- Do you call/skype/write to country often?
- What cultural practices from your country do you still practice at home?
- Do you wish to pass those on to your daughter?
Is there anything else you would like to share/tell me or that I may have left out?