Highlights from November GSC Meeting
During the November Graduate Student Council (GSC) meeting, we welcomed Anna Prescott to join the GSC executive board as the new academic chair. Prescott, a third year Psychological and Brain Sciences (PBS) student, showed a lot of passion for the position, and we look forward to seeing her execute her great ideas over the upcoming year. Congrats Anna!
There has been increased interest in creating graduate intramural sports teams, and the GSC is looking for volunteers willing to organize specific sports. If anyone is interested, get in touch with GSC Vice President Spencer Hatch. There is talk of a basketball league and potentially a volleyball night being planned for next month.
We heard from Matt Broughton, our representative from the Council on the Libraries, which acts as an advisory board to the Dartmouth libraries. He is collecting ideas to improve library function—if you have any suggestions, please contact him.
We were recently informed that the graduate student movie discount at the Nugget Theater has been canceled by the theater as they look to pursue other revenue-generating plans. However, we look forward to other programming and potential grad movie nights in the near future!
There are a number of exciting activities coming up, including:
- Nerd Nite: November 12 at 6:00pm in One Wheelock in Collis
- Cupcake Wars: November 14 at 6:00pm in Collis Common Ground
- Graduate Student Diversity Wellness Event: November 15, 6:00-7:30pm (location TBD)
- Girl Rising Film Screening and Discussion: November 17 at 7:00pm in Filene Auditorium
- There are several workshops coming up for professional development as well. Learn more and sign up for them here.
- Sign up for an externship through the Graduate Studies Office—it is a great opportunity to connect with graduate alumni while gaining exposure to a possible career path.
- The GSC Winter Semi-formal will be on Saturday, February 1 in Alumni Hall. There will be a poll to select a theme for this year’s dance in the near future (stay tuned!).
by Alison Paquette