GSC March Meeting Highlights
Graduate Student Council President Lisa Jackson commenced the monthly GSC general council meeting on Tuesday, March 4 by inviting graduate student groups to organize events to commemorate Grad Appreciation Week (April 5-11).
Upcoming events include:
- March 13: Interdepartmental Tea hosted by Molly Croteau and the Department of Chemistry.
- March 15: “Big Green Affair 2014” St. Patrick’s Day celebration, in collaboration with Young Alumni of Dartmouth Activities (YADA) at Salt Hill Pub in Hanover between 3:00-6:00 pm.
- March 21: “Let’s Talk: Women and Colorism” will entail a panel and group discussion on skin color, discrimination, and identity formation. Interested participants, please contact Meg Menon.
- April 3, 7, 10: “Mastering Money Skills” workshop series.
- April 5: GWISE presents “Science Day” (8:00 am to 3:00 pm).
- April 8: Graduate Poster Session from 5:00 to 7:30 pm in Alumni Hall (online registration opens on March 24 at 9:00 am).
- April 10: Advisor/Advisee Coffee, Tea and Muffin Time from 8:30 to 10:00 am at Occom Commons.
- April 11: Deadline for the spring term GSC Conference Travel Grant.
- April 11: The Grad Student Musicale will showcase the musical talents of fellow grad students; there will also be a wine and cheese reception.
- Regina Salvat is planning a pub night at the beginning of the spring term (details to come).
- The spring term social will take place on May 3 (the theme is under consideration).
In addition, Anna Prescott shared recaps on two recently held events: Nerd Nite (February 20) and Interdepartmental Tea (IDTea) hosted by Erin O’Malley and the Department of Physics and Astronomy (February 26). Please contact Prescott if you wish to participate in an upcoming Nerd Nite or host an IDTea this spring, and/or if you wish to volunteer for Science Day.
Further, Assistant Dean of Graduate Student Affairs Kerry Landers announced three new student job openings at the Graduate Studies Office – North Park Activities Coordinator, Graduate Studies Activities Coordinator, and Media Production Coordinator.
Finally, in a special presentation on health care, Dartmouth’s Assistant Vice President for Finance Tricia Spellman detailed public student health insurance options and answered questions concerning a Dartmouth Student Group Health Plan (DSGHP) waiver. Please email DSGHP & Patient Accounts Manager Ginger Farewell Lawrence at Dick’s House for further information.
The next GSC general council meeting will take place on Tuesday, April 1 at 5:30 pm in the Life Sciences Center, room 200. Follow the GSC online, the Graduate Forum, and the GSC Facebook page to stay up-to-date with all of the exciting happenings!
by Meg Menon