GSC April Meeting Highlights
There was a lot to cover at the Graduate Student Council (GSC) meeting this month, with executive board officer elections coming up next month! Anyone can run for an executive board position in the GSC, and self-nominations are permitted and encouraged. To nominate yourself or someone else, fill out the nominations form found on the GSC website. Note that elections for department representatives will be held in the fall.
GSC President Lisa Jackson urged representatives to read Dartmouth’s proposed new sexual assault policy. The College is encouraging students to submit their feedback by April 14. More information can be found online.
Last month the GSC voted to amend the constitution and add the service chair position to the executive board. Members also voted to allow “members-at-large” to serve, as needed, on the executive board.
There are a few service events coming up:
- A Habitat for Humanity build will be held on April 12.
- April 26 is the Dartmouth Day of Service – come out and help the local community!
The interim service chair is David Strickland. Please e-mail him with any questions about upcoming events.
Graduate Student Appreciation Week started this past Saturday, April 5 with GWISE’s Science Day. Other events this week include:
- April 8 is the poster session – come by to learn about your peers’ research.
- Following the poster session, there will be a pub night at Murphy’s in Hanover.
- The Advisor/Advisee Coffee, Tea, and Muffin Time will be on April 10 in Occom Commons at 8:30 am. Invite your advisor to join you!
- The Grad Student Musicale will be April 11!
For a full list of events, click here.
Mark your calendar for these other upcoming events:
- Anyone interested in participating in intramural softball can register via a link found on the GSC website (scroll down on the homepage), or by email.
- GSC Travel Grant applications are due April 11! Your travel must be scheduled before August in order to be eligible. Follow the link for more info.
- The spring social on May 3 will be Kentucky Derby-themed this year! Check the GSC website for information as the date approaches.
Remember to nominate your friends or yourself for a GSC executive board position if you are interested! It is a great way to get to know grad students in different departments, see how the administration works, and get involved in campus life. As always, GSC meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month in the LSC. See you on May 6 at 5:30 pm in LSC 100 for executive board elections. If you want more information or have any questions contact the president, Lisa Jackson!
by Britney Tappen