Online Course Description

Online Training Course for IPS Supported Employment

THE NEXT ONLINE COURSE WILL BEGIN OCTOBER 6, 2014.

To register for the course, and to learn about the cost to take the course, go to www.regonline.com/IPS2014

Who should take this course? This web-based course is intended for employment specialists and their supervisors. Some of the fieldwork for the course includes job development with employers, meeting with clients and families to work on an employment plan, etc. Therefore, we do not recommend the course for mental health practitioners who do not routinely perform these types of duties.

How does learning take place?  • This is an online learning course with personalized learning opportunities. • Each learning module consists of 30-40 minutes at the computer watching videos, reading, and answering questions. • Following the computer work, participants are asked to spend time practicing new skills during their workweek, and then write about their experiences on a discussion board, for example, after learning about new techniques for building relationships with employers, students are asked to practice those techniques by meeting with employers. • Unlike many other online courses, this training course includes contact with course facilitators who answer student questions and comment on all discussion board postings.

What are the learning modules? 1. Overview of IPS Supported Employment 2. Using a Team Approach (including families, VR counselor and mental health practitioners) 3. Focusing on Strengths and Preferences 4. Client Interviewing Skills 5. Job Development (Web based) 6. Job Development (Fieldwork) 7. Planning Job Supports 8. IPS Supported Employment for Persons with Co-Occurring Disorders

What is the course schedule? The course is offered three times each year.

• Participants may work on the course at any time of day or night, though sections of the course will shut down as the course progresses.
  • Participation in the course is limited and registration forms will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basi.

Is there a course certificate? Participants who complete the course, all of the homework assignments, and a course evaluation, will be issued a certificate of course completion

Comments from course participants It was excellent. The examples and case studies were common to experiences I have had. As a result of taking the course, I have adopted IPS principles and am engaging in rapid job searches much more than I was previously. I find myself explaining IPS to clients and getting them on board. I am now confident in talking to employers, which I rarely did in the past. I am very grateful for the opportunity to participate in this course and feel that it has improved my practice and benefitted the clients I work with. Thank you! I really liked engaging in a short discussion with the instructors after each homework submission, and was grateful for their thoughts and reflections. These were really useful, hands-on sessions that allow for immediate integration into work for staff and managers. I love the homework, especially for job development. It really helps the employment specialist to get out in the community early on and practice meeting with employers.