Incorporating a digital (or non-digital!) storytelling project in your course allows students to be creative while thinking critically as they analyze and synthesize course concepts. Storytelling or narratives are a space for students to relate what they are learning to their own lives and perspectives. Sharing storytelling products with classmates, the College community, or publicly online gives a sense of ownership. They can be very powerful engagement activities and empower students in their learning environment.
Digital storytelling tools:
- VoiceThread (video, audio, feedback – digital storytelling at it’s best, educator plan available)
- WordPress at Dartmouth (blogging, website creation, media)
- Go Animate (animated videos, educator plan available)
- Pixton (online comic book authoring tool, educator plan available)
- Educreations (teach others about a topic with a screencast, drawing/whiteboard, narration)
- Storybird (digital storytelling)
- Generator (media rich storyboard generator)
- Prezi (slick presentation tool)
- Storytelling/character work with Twitter
- Animoto (images + narration/audio = video)
- Glogster (multi-media poster creation)
- TicklyPictures (stop motion generator)
- Storyboard templates (free)
Interested in thinking about a digital storytelling project? Please contact us to Schedule a Consult.