This page has links to research in progress and published in the past couple of years, grouped by topic. A full list of my research is on my CV, which is available on the Welcome page of this site. If you want a copy of something that’s not available on this page, send me an email.
Electoral System Design
- “Electoral System Design in New Democracies” July 2016. Oxford Handbook of Electoral Systems. Erik Herron, Robert Pekkanen, and Matthew Soberg Shugart, editors. Forthcoming 2017.
- “Electoral Formula and Fragmentation in Hong Kong.” June 2016 working paper.
“Institutions as Causes and Effects: North African Electoral Systems During the Arab Spring.” Co-authored with Tarek Masoud and Andrew Reynolds. American Political Science Association conference paper. August 2015.
“District Magnitude and Representation of the Majority’s Preferences: A Comment and Reinterpretation.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. Public Choice 154:139-148. 2013.
“Consequences of electoral rules for patterns of redistribution and regulation.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. Perspectives on Politics 11(3):820-824. September 2013.
“Political scientists as electoral system engineers.” Co-authored with Simon Hix, Mala Htun, Shaheen Mozzafar, G. Bingham Powell, and Andrew Reynolds. Perspectives on Politics 11(3):827-840. September 2013.
Fixing Afghanistan’s Electoral System. Co-authored with Andrew Reynolds. Afghan Research and Evaluation Unit. Kabul, Afghanistan. May 2012.
“Getting Elections Wrong.” Co-authored with Andrew S. Reynolds. Journal of Democracy 23(1):164-168. January 2012.
“The Impact of Election Systems.” Co-authored with Andrew S. Reynolds. Journal of Democracy 22(4):36-47. October 2011.
“The electoral sweet spot: Low-magnitude proportional electoral systems.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. American Journal of Political Science 55(2):383-397. April 2011.
- Politics of Campus Diversity: Understanding Students’ Preferences via Conjoint Analysis. Working paper co-authored with Madeline M. Brown, Yusaku Horiuchi, and Lauren K. Martin
Conspiracy Theory Beliefs
- “An inflated view of the facts? How preferences and predispositions shape conspiracy beliefs about the Deflategate scandal.” Co-authored with Brendan Nyhan, Ben Valentino, and Mingnan Liu. Research and Politics, forthcoming 2016.
- “Two imperfect surveys of conspiracy theory belief in Venezuela: Crowdsourcing a diagnosis?” Co-authored with Brendan Nyhan and Thomas Zeitzoff. February 2016.
- “Compulsory Voting & Income Inequality” Co-authored with Yusaku Horiuchi. December 2015 working paper.
- “Transparency and Legislative Behavior.” March 2013 working paper.