New Art Exhibit at Matthews-Fuller Library: A Baby’s Journey

Zebra nursingThe Matthews-Fuller Health Sciences Library is excited to host a collection of large prints of original watercolor paintings by Brigitte Butscher.  Brigitte is a New Hampshire artist who is currently writing and illustrating a children’s book about breastfeeding.

Artist Statement

When I became a mama, I discovered nurturing; I became a new woman. There is a certain magic in a mother’s ability to breastfeed her baby. It is magic that needs to be shared.

When my son was hungry, he said, “mama milk”!  This simple calling inspired me. It renewed my spirit to paint and satisfy my yearning for all things creative, including this book. Upon reflection, I feel this is a book that I can share with my son, my biggest fan.

My first illustration was of a mama zebra. My son loved the imagery so much it encouraged me to create more drawings and inspired my son to ask me questions about the animals and the feeding process. It became a shared experience that over time, resulted in a children’s book.

Cow nursingThe book is about a pregnant mother who wants to learn how to feed her baby. She goes around the world in search of mama mammals who show her the way, discovering facts about breastfeeding. I wanted to make this book not only to share the beauty of breastfeeding with my baby but also to encourage and inspire new mothers.

Brigitte’s paintings are a story about motherhood; a story about love and ultimately, female empowerment.

Born and raised in Los Angeles, Brigitte now resides in the woods of New Hampshire. With an AA in Visual Communication’s from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. Brigitte is a full time illustrator and painter who works out of her studio at the Claremont MakerSpace. She is currently wrapping up her book which she hopes to ultimately publish.

Brigitte Butscher’s artwork will be on display until January 16, 2020
Exhibit & Library Hours:  8:00am – 5:00pm  Monday – Friday (Closed on weekends)
The Matthews-Fuller Health Sciences Library is located on the 5th floor of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH

This entry was posted in Art Work, Exhibits, News Item. Bookmark the permalink.