Volunteering with Dave

The snow is melting, the grass is getting greener and if you look closely you can see leaves starting to bud on trees. Spring is here and we couldn’t be more excited for the warmer weather. Melting snow tends to reveal all kinds of surprises, and, unfortunately, some of those surprises come in the form of trash.

Dave, one of our information access assistants, used his vacation time to clean two miles of highway:

I was on vacation last week and I cleaned two miles of NH highway of every can bottle and wrapper. It was a great way to make things greener in our neighborhood and socially distance ourselves apart. I took a two-mile stretch of highway from Wendell Bridge to Sunapee Bridge. It was one of the hardest projects I have ever worked on – but the results are obvious when you drive through town.

Many of us are quarantined to our homes, but it’s important to remember our communities need our help. Donate to your local food bank or purchase a gift card to a local restaurant or shop. Sew or create no-sew masks and share them with your community. Offer to go to the store of your neighbor. Call family that you may not call very often. Go for a walk with a bag and pick up the trash you find along the way. There are even virtual volunteer opportunities to take part it. No matter what you decide, be safe and follow the recommendations put out by the CDC.

This post was written by Paige Scudder, Research and Education Librarian for the Biomedical Libraries.

This entry was posted in Paige Scudder, Resources and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Volunteering with Dave

1. jennifer says:

I want to thanks for your time for this wonderful Article!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.