Getting to Know the Biomedical Libraries’ Staff: An interview with Amanda Scull

1. What is your job and how long have you worked for the Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries?

I’m the Head of Education and Information Services, and it will be 2 years in July.

2. What is your favorite part about your job?

Honestly, the people I work with. I enjoy the people I work with, we’re a fun team! I enjoy coming to work and talking with my co-workers and talking about baking with them!

3. What is your least favorite part about your job?

The commute. It takes me an hour one way, so that’s two hours every day. It would be nice to live closer to my job.

4. How are you spending your isolation?

Making pretzels, working, running a makeshift preschool for my 4 year old who I’m trying to keep busy. Today we went for a nature hike to a waterfall, and I bought a sticker making kit.

5. If you have any pets or kids, describe them as your co-worker and tell us what they are
doing right now.

One of my coworkers is having a VERY serious conversation with her Bubbie (grandmother) about cats. My other coworker has been banished for growling at foxes all day long; I’ve sent them to work with my husband instead.

6. What pantry meal are you proudest of?

I will stand by canned diced tomatoes. You can make so many things with them. We managed to buy a lot before this whole crisis happened and people cleared the shelves at the stores. We’ve made curry, and red chilli sauce poured over steak. We’re eating very well actually.

7. What are you reading/watching during your isolation?

I just finished reading The Glass Hotel, by Emily St. John Mandel. I’m also reading Ladies of Liberty, by Cokie Roberts, which is about the wives of the early presidents. Also, The Overstory, by Richard Powers. I finally broke down and bought it because I’ve been on the waitlist at my local library for over a year. I also just started listening to The Marvelist.

8. What is your hobby? Name your top 5 hobby-related recommendations and why.

Baking. No Kneed Crusty White Bread, Hot Buttered Soft Pretzels, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Saffron Orange Bundt Cake (America’s Test Kitchen, “The Perfect Cake” Book), Old Fashioned Apple Cake.

This post was written by the Water Cooler Committee, Samara Cary, Paige Scudder, Elaina Vitale, and Samantha Wiebkin, for the Biomedical Libraries.

This entry was posted in Elaina Vitale, Paige Scudder, Samantha Wiebkin, Samara Cary, Staff and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.