Getting to Know the Biomedical Libraries’ Staff: An interview with Pamela Bagley

1. What is your job and how long have you worked for the Dartmouth Biomedical Libraries?

My job title is Coordinator of Biomedical Research Support. I’ve been here for 16.5 years, I started September 1st, 2003.

2. What is your favorite part about your job?

I love connecting people with what they really need, whether that is information, a skill, or a referral to the right person. It’s when people have that “ah ha!” moment that gives me a great deal of satisfaction.

3. What is your least favorite part about your job?

Making people wait—sometimes the turnaround time is longer than I want it to be because I need to juggle priorities. It makes me crazy that I can’t get to everybody immediately. When I first started, if I had somebody wait more than 24 hours, that was huge for me. It really bothered me. Now, I’m more used to it, especially since searches these days are getting more complex with each new database that’s created. Still, I wish people didn’t have to wait.

4. How are you spending your isolation?

I set up an office area in my living room looking out my front window so I have a designated workplace with lots of natural light. It overlooks the street, I get to see my neighbors and their kids enjoy being outside. I go for a walk or two just about every day and talk with neighbors…at a distance. I am further ahead on prepping my gardens and yard for Spring because Spring is a bit early and I don’t have other activities to distract me in my free time.

5. If you have any pets or kids (or other family members), describe them as your coworker and tell us what they are doing right now.

One of my coworkers is working on turning an old stairway into a closet, putting in built-in cabinets that have drawers. He’s very proud of the fact that he’s doing everything from the material he already has. He’s using the old stair treads to make the drawer fronts. It’s his big project. My other coworker is just taking care of the house like she usually does, being a mom. Everybody needs my mom in their life!

1. What pantry meal are you proudest of? 

Cheesy, spicy black beans bake—from the NYT cooking. I add a lot more veggies to it; it’s quick and easy and pretty tasty. I love beans, so I cook them all the time, pandemic or not! I had beans for lunch! I have a pretty amazing pantry, I will say. 

7. What are you reading/watching during your isolation?

Lightweight stuff—I’ve been listening to audiobooks that I get through my public library. Mysteries, lightweight stuff. One of my sisters just recommended rewatching 30rock, she said it’s a show that is aging well. I think I will start spending too much time on that. I didn’t really watch it the first time around, so it’s pretty new to me. They’re short so you can watch it, and then get on with your life.

8. What is your hobby? Name your top 5 (hobby-related) recommendations and why. ie- Gardening, names 5 plants.

Gardening is one of my hobbies. This year I want to try grafting tomato plants. What I particularly like from my garden are tomatoes, cucumbers, fennel, parsley and basil. I have a spreadsheet of what I grow, and it’s a lot more than 5, so narrowing it down is tough. I have some herbs that are coming up and they are coming up way too slowly, I am missing my parsley and dill! And a whole lot of basil! I have lots and I could go on and on.

I also like to make crafts, but gardening is my passion.

1. Where’s a favorite place you have traveled and where would you most like to travel to next?

I have lots of favorite places—most recently I was in New Mexico, in Santa Fe. I love traveling there, it’s picturesque and has a different culture than the Northeast. The food is excellent. I also went to Utah, and was amazed by the mountains! The snow gave them a lot of texture. I was able to go for a hike up them and it was a beautiful country.

I have a big list but I would love to go to Portugal and I’m also really interested in doing a walking tour in the UK. I’ve done a biking tour in France and in Holland which was really fun, so a walking tour would be fun. 

10. What frivolous things do you miss about being out in the normal world?

DHMC cafeteria salad bar. It’s silly but I love being able to go down and everyone has already prepped everything. I also miss just talking to people face to face. The medium of Zoom is nice because I can see people but I feel there is still a barrier to communication. I look forward to a time when I can see you all (coworkers) in the same room.

This post was written by the Water Cooler Committee, Samara Cary, Paige Scudder, Elaina Vitale, and Samantha Wiebkin, for the Biomedical Libraries.

This entry was posted in Elaina Vitale, Paige Scudder, Samantha Wiebkin, Samara Cary, Staff and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.