In lieu of a long winter’s nap, take a short one and consider these 10 ways to get closer to your career goals over break:
- Participate in the Center for Professional Development’s Job Shadowing program. Over 100 alumni and parents are offering to share their expertise with current students through job shadowing opportunities and short term projects. Learn more here and sign up by December 1 to participate in the program. Miss the deadline or want some sample questions to ask? Check out our Networking Guide, available through the Resource Library on DartBoard.
- Find a regional Dartmouth alumni club in your area. Any parties or programs planned? Contact the leadership and ask if you can be of help. Why is this a good strategy – even if you feel intimidated? Dartmouth alumni and regional club leaders enjoy talking to current students, especially those who are interested in getting to know them! Many alumni may also have potential hiring needs — or leads on local employers who are seeking students.
- Reach out to an alum and ask about an informational interview. Check out the Dartmouth Career Network — we have over 23,000 alumni who have volunteered to help. Ask questions, get advice, and strategies you can put to use in your job or internship search. (Check out suggested questions and best practices on contacting alums here.)
- If you want to move to a new city or town for an internship or on a permanent basis, plan a trip on your own or with friends – and invite Dartmouth alumni to join you for coffee. Scope out a city, industry, or career field. The choice is yours.
- Explore projects and volunteer opportunities at non-profit organizations through Idealist.org
- Help attract talent to Dartmouth. Contact the Admissions office and see how you can help out with local initiatives in your hometown or high school.
- Volunteer at your high school. It’s always nice to preserve and strengthen relationships with former teachers, coaches, and staff.
- Prepare for your job or internship search. Deadlines for applying for winter term interviews don’t start until January, but you’ll be able to see who’s coming to campus starting through the Recruiting Tab in DartBoard. You can start applying for positions on December 19.
- Allow yourself time to rest. Make sure you catch up on the sleep you missed over exam week – and get ready for a great January!
Photo by Sarunos Burdulls