Please be advised that the Student Experiential Learning Fund (SELF) is suspended for spring term internships. The application process will reopen in Spring 2019 for summer internships. SELF is undergoing restructure and management changes in hopes of better serving your funding needs. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Student Experiential Learning Fund (SELF) is directed in partnership between the Center for Professional Development (CPD) and the Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL). The fund supports students’ skill, confidence, and capacity building through unpaid or low-paid, intentional experience with and critical reflection on:
- Internships and externships
- Non-Dartmouth research opportunities
- Group and team projects
- Social sector and direct service experiences
- Conference travel and scholarly presentations
- Non-Dartmouth specialized professional/leadership training
Key Funding Criteria:
Experiences must closely align with career and/or academic interests. Priority is given to students who have not received funding from SELF or another campus resource. Applicants are required to seek the most economical options for housing, transportation, etc. so that funds can support as many students as possible.
Applications will be reviewed and selection decisions will be made within 1-2 weeks of the submission deadline each term.
We recommend you read our Frequently Asked Questions in advance of your application.
If selected for funding, students are required to register any travel and submit the following forms, which will be provided upon notification of funding decisions:
- A signed acknowledgment and risk release
- A signed funding contract
- An emergency contact form
- A post-experience report outlining their overall experience, reflecting on key learning, and describing how the experience connected with career and academic interests.