Dartmouth College Postdoc Association Presents:
Postdoc Research Day 2020
January 17, 2020
Hanover Inn, Hanover NH
This year we welcome our postdoc colleagues from University of New Hampshire
11:30 AM - 3:00 PM – Registration at Grand Ballroom Lobby
- Registration for the day is free - please register here
- Lunch and entry to all events is included
- All postdocs are invited to attend and present posters/talks (spaces are limited)
- All students are invited to attend
12:00 PM – Welcome Remarks
F. Jon Kull, Ph.D., Dean of Guarini School of Graduate and Advanced Studies, Dartmouth
12:15 PM – Lunch & Keynote
Elizabeth Winslow, Ed.D., Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth:
"Leadership: An Art and a Science"
The pursuit and practice of leadership has long fascinated both scholars and practitioners. Leadership is an achievable goal for all professionals, provided they understand it as both an iterative and collaborative process. Striving for leadership involves the pursuit of personal excellence, situational control, relationship management, and results. This presentation will explore the theory and practice behind all four categories, and will provide opportunities for interactive learning and reflection.
1:30 - 3:00 PM – "Short talks"
Limited to 10 postdocs to present their "short talks" of 5 minutes or less.
- Nadia Lafreniere, Ph.D. (Mathematics/Dartmouth): Do You Know How to Shuffle Cards?
- Eshin Jolly, Ph.D. (Psychological and Brain Sciences/Dartmouth): Spontaneous Neural Representations of Social Relationships in Naturalistic Contexts
- Biochemistry/Dartmouth – Thomas Kucharski, Ph.D. Quantitative Measurement of Phosphorylation Occupancy Reveals That Both Graded and Switch-like Mechanisms Regulate Kinetochore Functions During Mitosis
- Dani Poole, Ph.D. (Geography/Dartmouth): Spatial-temporal Trends in Forced Migrant Mortality, 2014 – 2018
- Fabrizio Colosimo, Ph.D. (Civil and Environmental Engineering/UNH): TBA
- Theresa Gildner, Ph.D. (Anthropology/Dartmouth): Digging into Dartmouth’s Past: Evidence Of 19th-Century Parasite Infection on Campus
- Matt Young, Ph.D. (Space Science Center/UNH): The Origin of The Suprathermal Solar Wind
- Deisy Pena, Ph.D. (Chemistry/UNH): A Route Towards the Total Synthesis of Nosokophic Acid
- Brett Doherty, Ph.D. (Epidemiology/Dartmouth): Periconceptional and Prenatal Exposure to Metal Mixtures in Relation to Behavioral Development at Three Years of Age
- Akshay Mehra, Ph.D. (Earth Sciences/Dartmouth): The Past in Multiple Dimensions: Why 3D Morphological Analyses Matter and What They Can Teach Us About Earth History
3:00 - 5:00 PM – Abstracts / Poster Displays
- Limited to 20 presentations
- Registration closed
Team of judges:
- Charlotte Bacon, MFA., Director, Grant GPS (Dartmouth)
- Allan Bieber, Ph.D., Associate Director of Grant GPS (Dartmouth)
- Allan Gulledge, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Molecular and Systems Biology, Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth College)
- Cari Moorhead, Ph.D., Dean of the Graduate School (University of New Hampshire)
- Britney Privett, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Chemistry (St. Anselm College)
- Jane Quigley, MLSC., Head of Research & Data Services, (Dartmouth Library)
- Betsy Tremmel, Ph.D., Lecturer in Writing, Institute of Writing & Rhetoric; Multilingual Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Writing Consultant, Guarini School of Graduate & Advanced Studies (Dartmouth)
3:00 - 5:00 PM – Hot topic "table talks"
Join a table of your choice, for the amount of time you want! You can hop-on hop-off tables.
Here are the topics and facilitators:
- Juggling Time for Maximum Productivity: Albert Antosca, Ph.D., The Leslie Center for the Humanities (Dartmouth)
- Idea to IPO; Getting YOUR Idea Noticed: Barry Schweitzer, Ph.D., Senior Business Development and Licensing Manager, Technology Transfer Office (Dartmouth)
- On-Campus Interviews, Tips From The Hiring Deans: (1) F. Jon Kull, Ph.D., Rodgers Professor of Chemistry & Dean of the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies (Dartmouth) & (2) Elizabeth F. Smith, Ph.D., Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences & (3) Paul M. Dauten, Jr. Professor of Biological Sciences, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology (Dartmouth)
- Building a Strong Teaching Portfolio As a Postdoc: Cindy Rosalbo, Ph.D., Associate Director, Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL)
- Different Academic Career Paths: Christian Darabos, Ph.D; Assistant Director, Research Informatics – Dartmouth College & Tim Baker, Ph.D., Assistant Dean of Faculty (Dartmouth)
- Social Media and the Scholar: Kathleen M. Rose. Ph.D; Research Associate & Lecturer Postdoctoral Fellow in Science Communication, Dartmouth College
- The Job Search and the "Two Body Problem" George O’Toole, Ph.D., Elmer R. Pfefferkorn, PhD., Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)
- Navigating the HR landscape; what you need to know and ask about benefits, retirement etc.: Cheryl Josler, Executive Director or HR services, (Dartmouth)
4:00 - 6:00 PM – Free Cocktail Reception & Networking
5:15 PM – Poster Prizes Announced
6:00 PM - Close