Rest in Delicious Peace

Student Life | 0 comments

Written by Carter Welch

Graphic by Abby Smith

Dear Dartmouth, 

As most of us pull through week 9 (is that right? Are we this far?), a few recent, major newsmakers caught all of us off-guard. The first came ten days past, as Morano Gelato—a Hanover darling and Dartmouth favorite—announced they were closing their doors. Permanently. The COVID-19 pandemic demonstrates that even the most beloved and quality small businesses are not immune to the economic and public health uncertainty of what will be an infamous year. Morano Gelato delivered spot-on gelato with every visit; the gelateria even provided first-year students free cups for publishing DartWrite platforms. Their technique was superb, and visitors quickly understood the care and attention Morano paid to its product and its customers. And, their affogato—a godlike treat of gelato (preferably ricotta) and hot espresso on top—was the ideal solution for a winter day where you still craved something sweet. I visited Morano with my mom and dad the first time I traveled to Dartmouth. My last memory with my dad in Hanover—my father passed away last September—was at Morano. I’ll always recall the way he waxed poetic about the spumoni.

A few days ago, we were blindsided by the news that KAF @ Baker, a Dartmouth mainstay since 2011, was closing. The later details underscored that this closure was mostly unrelated to the COVID-19 pandemic. Nevertheless, it was a stunning blow to the library and on-campus culinary scene. I went to KAF on a daily basis (sometimes twice a day) to enjoy the great coffee and pastry options before a 10 or to kick off my Tuesday study sessions at FFB.

Without understating the greatness of KAF, I firmly hold that KAF was a superb place to catch up with a friend, somewhere to enjoy quality, local food, and a place that I center countless memories around. I wrote one of my application responses about the smells, the feelings, and the people of KAF; the team at KAF was outstanding, and I will forever continue to cherish them.

Unfortunately, the closure of KAF and Morano reflects the new, constant uncertainty that we as humans and Dartmouth students face. The Dartmouth that we loved (and maybe hated sometimes) will not be the same when we eventually return.

It may take many terms for our former understanding, our former lives in Hanover to return to a fleeting sense of normalcy. But that’s okay. I think we best enact change, improve, and innovate when we are on the knife’s edge. Dartmouth will persevere and push ahead amid all the chaos. This does not mean that life is not difficult, and that it won’t be in the future, and if I could add, to the ‘20s, that I cannot begin to picture how the closing scenes of your time at Dartmouth look and feel. As a class, you contributed immeasurably, and you left the College a better place than before. To the ‘24s, this pandemic has made life and your dreams more perplexing than ever before. On top of the stress of attending a new school, you are faced with a great wall of ambiguity. The future looks fuzzy. But when you arrive at campus, the Dartmouth community will welcome you all with a massive embrace; we will ensure that the transition is smooth and that the confusion is minimized, and that you are a ’24 in the truest sense.
I am sure that we as a community possess innumerable memories of, or at, Morano and KAF, and I believe this is one more demonstration on the value of gratitude and savoring each and everypausing in the moment, cherishing that special conversation, that effervescent friend, and thanking yourself for the opportunity to be present and happy, and for being you. Thank and love yourself endlessly. 

If you want to support local businesses in the Hanover area, check out this article for some great suggestions. 

With love, gratitude, and hope, 

Carter Welch ’23