DUJS Alumni

Information is added on a rolling basis; if you are a DUJS alumnus and name is not listed here, or if you would like to submit a bio summarizing your experiences after graduating Dartmouth, please contact dujs@dartmouth.edu.  Thank you!

The vast majority of individuals currently listed below served as editor-in-chief and/or president of the DUJS during their time at Dartmouth and throughout their involvement with the journal.

Class of 2014

Yoo Jung Kim: At Dartmouth, I majored in Biology, and spent the year after graduation working at the NIH-NHGRI as an Intramural Research Training Fellow, finishing a book (“What Every Science Student Should Know“) with Justin Bauer ’12 and the two ’13s below (Andy and Dan), and blogging for PLOS Sci-Ed.  (2015 update): I’m (2015) now attending the Stanford University School of Medicine.

Class of 2013

DanDaniel K. Lee Jr: I’m from Turlock, CA, and I graduated from Dartmouth in 2013. At Dartmouth, I majored in Chemistry (Plan A), and I will be spending the 2013-14 academic year pursuing a Master’s in Biophysical Chemistry through Dartmouth’s 4+1 program, and continuing my work with Professor Robert Cantor. (2015 update): now a first-year medical student in the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology MD Program.

Andy picture

Andy Zureick: I’m originally from Bloomfield Hills, MI, and I graduated summa cum laude from Dartmouth in 2013 with a B.A. in Chemistry. At Dartmouth, I wrote my senior honors thesis on transition metal-catalyzed chiral phosphine synthesis in Professor David Glueck’s research group, and I was also recognized as a Goldwater Scholar in 2012. I am currently (2015) a third-year medical student at the University of Michigan Medical School, and I hope to pursue a career in academic medicine.

Class of 2012

Alice S. Pang

Alice Pang: Raised in New York City, I graduated summa cum laude from Dartmouth College in 2012 with a B.A. in Biology (Biochemistry). At Dartmouth, I conducted research in Dr. Yolanda Sanchez’s laboratory at the Geisel School of Medicine, and wrote my senior honors thesis on “Discovery of Drugs and Drug Targets for Neurofibromatosis Type 1-Associated Tumors.” I am currently (2013) a first-year medical student at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine.

jay_dujs

Jay Dalton: I graduated Dartmouth with a B.A. in Biology, and a minor in studio art. I’m originally from St. Louis. After graduation, I pursued a Lewin Fellowship working with Casa de Salud in St. Louis, and now I’m a first year medical student at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.

Class of 2011

Hannah Payne: Currently a Ph.D. candidate in Neuroscience at Stanford University.

Class of 2010:

Colby Chiang: University of Virginia MD/PhD student

dujs pic

Shreoshi Majumdar

Peter Zhao: At Dartmouth, I majored in Chemistry and Economics. After graduating in 2010, I matriculated to the Yale School of Medicine and am planning to become an ophthalmologist. I am currently (2013) taking a year off to do research on the tissue engineering of human stem cells to reconstruct a functional retina. Looking back, working at DUJS was an opportunity unique to the College and made possible by its emphasis on the undergraduate. It was at DUJS that I developed an attention to detail relevant to everything from creating PowerPoint presentations to diagnosing illness in a patient.

Daewoong Lee

Daewoong Lee: I graduated from Dartmouth in 2010, and I majored in biology (ecological chemistry) modified with East Asia Studies. I am currently a 4th year medical student at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, specifically in the Columbia-Bassett Track. I have also previously served in the Republic of Korea Army.

Class of 2008:

486534_859705206716_93356699_nFrank Glaser: After Dartmouth, I spent three years at ClearView Healthcare Partners in a lifesciences consulting role.   As a Consultant, I strategically advised pharmaceutical, biotech, and medical device companies on a wide range of topics affecting key internal decisions.  I also helped grow the consulting firm itself and led all intern and entry-level recruiting for ClearView.  Following ClearView, I made a big life switch and enrolled in the Tulane School of Medicine to pursue an M.D. degree — I am currently in my third year.  I plan to leave Tulane between my third and fourth years to attend business school with the aim of completing a dual degree (M.D. / M.B.A.) by 2016.

Will Schpero

Class of 2007

Goldberg_headshot_BWJacob Goldberg: I graduated from Dartmouth in 2007 with a double major in Biophysical Chemistry and History.  After Dartmouth, I completed a Chemistry PhD in 2013 at the University of Pennsylvania, and I am currently a post-doctoral research fellow in Chemical Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Class of 2005

Peter Chalmers

Rebecca Bruccoleri: (As of 2006): I am currently a first year medical student at Yale University School of Medicine, which I like so far. In addition, I can’t seem to stop wanting to be involved in a journal, and have just finished my first semester as an editor for the Yale Journal of Health Policy, Law, and Ethics at Yale Law School.

Class of 2004

Laura Berzak: Completed a doctorate/PhD in plasma physics at Princeton University.

Class of 2002

Gwendolyn McKee: (As of 2006) I am currently in Washington DC studying food and drug law at the Washington College of Law at American University. This summer I will be at Hyman, Phelps, and McNamara, a food and drug law firm, and I wrote my Law Review comment on allowing consumers to donate left over medication to charities.  During the gap I was in Russia editing English translations of Russian science journals.

Roxanne Khamsi: (As of 2006) Since last October I have reported for news@nature.com, Nature magazine’s online news service. I mainly cover advances in biology, including biotechnology, neuroscience and genetics. Prior to working for the website, I contributed science-related articles to the MIT Technology Review, the Economist and Wired News as a freelance journalist.

Class of 2001 

IMG_2511Amar Dhand graduated from Dartmouth College and entered Harvard Medical School. He was subsequently awarded the Rhodes Scholarship and studied Education at Oxford University. He returned to medical school, fell in love again with the brain, and entered the residency program in neurology at the University of California, San Francisco. He has now just completed his fellowship in Neurohospitalist medicine, and accepted a joint appointment as Assistant Professor of Neurology and Public Health at Washington University, St. Louis. His research interests are social networks in neurological diseases.

Tim Lesle: (As of 2006) My most current professional iteration is as a writer, editor, graphic designer, and sometimes photographer for the Sierra Club. I work out of the national headquarters in downtown San Francisco. I started here as a grant writer, capitalizing in part on my experience at DUJS. Prior to the Sierra Club, I worked at the U.S. Geological Survey for two years in Menlo Park, CA, where I focused primarily on outreach and education, using my geologic training to create web sites, maps, and some illustrations for a UCPress book on Napa Valley

Soon Hyouk Lee: (As of 2006) I’m an analyst at an $800 million dollar life science focused venture capital fund called Oxford Bioscience Partners. I evaluate life science investment opportunities in the therapeutics, medical device, and life science tools space, both private and public companies

Arvindh Kanagasundram

——

DUJS Alumni have worked for: The Baltic Times (Riga, Latvia), WIRED.com, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Graduate Schools Attended (not listed above): U of Washington Chemistry Doctoral Program

“…working as an editor for the DUJS has helped me tremendously… The responsibilities I had… challenged me and gave me a number of new skills that are useful…” -Roxanne Khamsi ‘02

“I’m delighted to see that the journal still continues, it’s a testament to all of our hard work that the DUJS has outlasted all of our other undergrad competitors! The battlefield of undergrad journals is now littered with the corpses of the Harvard JUS, the Caltech CURJ and countless others. We were worried about them for a while, and we improved ourselves to outdo them. We should try to use our experiences, both the pitfalls and the successes to help guide the current undergraduates to continue the journal.” -Jesse McCann ’03, Chemistry Ph.D. Student, University of Washington