Alex Conway ’20, Ecology Department

Coming to Dartmouth, I knew I wanted to pursue my passion for sustainability. However, I quickly realized I’d be unable to do so through my classes, which are somewhat restricted by my double major. That’s why I decided to pursue ecologically-based research— as an opportunity to foster this interest, without relying on the classroom.

I was prompted to join a lab in my sophomore winter, when I received an email about UGAR’s Presidential Scholars Program. After looking at the online database of research postings, I reached out to a prof, and eight terms later I’m still working in her lab! Through the Cottingham lab, I’ve had the opportunity to design and run a toxicological experiment, use different microscopy techniques, and work on my data processing skills. Perhaps more importantly, I’ve been able to refine my academic interests and plans for the future. I’ve also reaped the benefits of research in the classroom— whether it’s a principle of statistical analysis or some lab protocol, I am better prepared to participate in a rigorous scientific setting because of my research experience.

Overall, my experience wouldn’t have been possible without the help of UGAR. I’ve received four terms of UGAR funding— three through the presidential scholars program and one through leave-term funding— all of which has facilitated my continued involvement in my lab.