Executive Officer Nominees

Academic Year 2018-19

President

Katharine von Herrmann

I am thrilled to be running for Graduate Student Council President for the 2018/2019 academic year. As a member of the GSC for the last 3 years, I have observed tremendous growth in both the depth and breadth of our council’s endeavors, realizing that together we can successfully tackle any challenges that may obstruct our path. This coming year as we continue to develop our identity as the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies, and become increasingly integrated into the larger Dartmouth community, I will persistently advocate for graduate students at every step of the way hoping to further strengthen our graduate community. Serving as the Finance Officer this past year, I have a clear and detailed understanding of our budget and how these finances support the many different functions that the GSC serves – both at Dartmouth and beyond into the upper valley. This experience will help me to provide both leadership and support for the GSC committees, which provide the many social, academic and volunteer opportunities for graduate students. The graduate student community at Dartmouth is an integral component of student life, supporting both academics and non-academic pursuits, and I would be honored to continue to help foster our community through leadership as the GSC President. Together we can create an environment where graduate students will have the support, skills, and inspiration to be successful – both academically and more broadly as members of society.

Jennifer Lai

Being plugged into the greater Dartmouth community has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my three years here thus far. I would like to run for GSC president to continue my involvement on campus. I bring to this role experience serving as a GSC department representative (2015-2016), and as a graduate resident fellow in the inaugural years of the new house system (2016-2018). In the latter role, I helped to define the role of graduate resident fellow, and have experience running events and collaborating with faculty and staff from several departments across campus. In addition, I've gained a unique perspective on undergraduate life, as well as the efforts underway to include the graduate community in campus life as a whole through the housing system. In the role of GSC president, I will work to advocate for all members of the graduate school and, where I am able to do so, continue working towards a more cohesive college community.

Vice President

Faith Anderson

My experience with the Graduate Student Council began in June 2017, where I served as a proxy for the PEMM Representative position at the GSC General Council Meetings until being elected for the full-time position in November. During this time, I volunteered on the budget committee, helping draft the coming year’s financial plan as well as acted as a sober monitor at the GSC-sponsored social events. I have really enjoyed representing PEMM in the GSC, bringing attention to any and all matters that have arisen within our program. I am extremely passionate about running for the GSC executive board position of Vice President to address the interests and concerns of the larger graduate community. I am excited at the idea of holding a leadership position in the GSC, being able to work with graduate organizations and faculty leaders to ensure the most positive experience for all graduate students at Dartmouth College. I look forward to assisting all graduate committees to make the planning and execution of events as seamless as possible. I am especially eager to continue supporting the great work being accomplished by the ad hoc Housing and Benefits committees in order to facilitate valuable change on behalf of the graduate population. In my undergraduate career, I held various leadership positions – including Vice President of my professional sorority. This role allowed me to work with committee chairs overseeing the coordination of philanthropy, fundraising, professional development, and social events. I plan to use the leadership skills I gained through this experience and others in my term on the GSC executive board. I am enthusiastic about running for the position of Vice President of the GSC and hope you will consider my nomination.

Finance Officer

Daniel Mattox

After getting the chance to serve as a representative for my program and gain exposure to the inner working of the GSC, I want to be more actively involved. Beyond the financial record-keeping duties of the position, I would be excited to experiment with the financial reports in the monthly GSC meeting. Bringing my experience and background in data analysis and visualization, I would like to work to create and share informative graphics and representations of the current financial situation so that members can more easily make more informed decisions when voting.

Michael Ko

I am running for the GSC finance executive board position because I want to serve the graduate student community. Previously I have had the opportunity to be involved with GSC as a chemistry representative and through this duty, I was able to experience the great impact GSC has in the graduate student community. My most recent involvement with finance has been with STEPS as the treasurer where I organized and managed budgets for the club, but prior to my time at Dartmouth, I was involved in managing and directing several clubs during my undergraduate years. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to serve the GSC and graduate student community.

Daniele Bellutta

Being nominated for finance officer was an unexpected but much-appreciated surprise. If elected, I want to go beyond the position's assigned duties by making the Graduate Student Council's budget public and easily accessible to everyone, not just those within the GSC. Congress does not expect us all to pile into the Capitol to know the specifics of the government's budget, so why should the GSC? In the past, I have put my computer science degree to use creating data visualization software as well as simple accounting software for people renovating shared property. In addition to using my experience to make the GSC budget accessible online, I would like to investigate the possibility of storing GSC financial assets in long-term accounts (such as certificates of deposit) with better interest rates. As finance officer, I would also seek to serve as an advocate for student financial issues. As it has sometimes done in the past, the GSC is in a unique position to pressure the College to help improve students' financial well-being by, for example, improving access to stipends for master's students undertaking research. Being a financial advocate for graduate students would therefore be a priority for me as the GSC financial officer.

Communications Chair

Emily Kirk

I am a second-year student in the PEMM program and seeking ways in which to become more active the broader graduate student community here at Dartmouth – therefore, I’m excited to be running for the GSC’s Communications Chair. I believe that I would be an effective communicator between members of the GSC as well as between the GSC and the greater graduate student community. Currently, I am one of the coordinators for the Upper Valley Brain Bee in which I help organize not only the Brain Bee Event itself, but also Brain Boot Camps that take place throughout New Hampshire and Vermont. As a coordinator, I act as a liaison between volunteers for the Camps and the middle- and high-school teachers and faculty who host the Camps. Prior to Dartmouth, I was President of the Equestrian Team at Randolph-Macon College from Sophomore through Senior year, during which I played an integral role in organizing Team meetings, transportation to Shows, and volunteer opportunities. Bringing the skills that I have learned through these volunteer leadership positions, as Communications Chair, I will strive to continue fostering relationship between members of the GSC and the graduate student community. I would be thrilled to be a member of the GSC Executive Team.

Savannah Barnett

Being a representative for the PEMM program in GSC has given me many opportunities to become involved in the Dartmouth community. I've come to appreciate and advocate for the diverse needs of graduate students. Since June 2017, I've served as a GSC representative, co-chair for the GSC benefits sub-committee, created the graduate student blog, hosted a blog writing competition, taken photographs for post-doctoral and graduate student events, written articles for the graduate school highlighting graduate students at Dartmouth, served as an executive member for Graduate Women in Science and Engineering, and hosted a podcast that highlights scientific research being done in our community. These experiences provide a unique platform for me to contribute to the communication of graduate school research and life here at Dartmouth. If elected, I intend to continue my efforts of disseminating the culture and research of Dartmouth within and outside of the Dartmouth community.

Academic Chair

Tamar Wheeler

Since the fall I have served as an MCB First-year representative for the GSC. As part of the academic committee I have been involved in improving and implementing the GSC Travel Grant process. In addition, I have supported GSC academic events through attendance and volunteering to help with tasks. I enjoy providing feedback, input, and ideas on academic processes and events and would be honored to have the opportunity to implement some of those ideas more fully as academic chair. My goal would be to improve the efficiency of committee duties (such as the GSC travel grant scoring process) as well as to support and organize events that will provide academically enriching experiences. It is my hope that these efforts will result in increased opportunities for graduate students to share knowledge, network, and gain valuable experience outside the classroom.

Curtis Petersen

I thoroughly enjoy attending graduate school at Dartmouth. This is my second time around. I first attended the master’s in public health program through TDI in 2014 and I’m now a PhD student in the same program as well as a masters student in the QBS program. I have sat on both sides of the table in the learning experience - as a student and a teacher and with a wide range of experience conducting research and learning at the graduate level, I feel I understand what is required for graduate level academics. I want to help lead the Dartmouth graduate school and help students and the administration build the most productive relationship possible. I look to continue to provide resources to students in learning how to write manuscripts and grants and I want to provide resources for students to learn how to have a successful mentee mentor relationship. For these reasons and more I hope to serve as our next academic chair.

Student Life Chair

Eva Childers

I would like to run as student chair to organize events that provide opportunities for students to relax and connect with peers. Being able to balance "me time" with work and research can be challenging as a graduate student. As student life chair, I hope to provide more weekly opportunities for students to de-stress and refresh.

Feruza Azimova

I am a 2nd year MALS students focusing on Creative Writing and I plan on graduating next June. Since I have been here in this small town, I have experienced homesickness, increase in my mental health illnesses, isolation, loneliness, confusion and multiple ups and downs all under the umbrella of feeling lost! But I have felt grounded through the volunteer opportunities and social activities that GSC has organized the past year and I am grateful for those events and my fellow grad mates because each time I felt like I had a little family here and that I wasnt alone. I have a strong interest in working with other GSC members in creating a warm environment for graduate students who have experienced what I have and to make their grad lives here memorable and fun. This is for both the social and student life positions. One thing I would like to implement as a regular GSC social and academic activity is undergrad (and maybe even high school) mentorship program with grad students. In high school I shadowed a college student, from morning til the end of their day, and got to see what time management looked like, what skills were used in a college setting, learned about different courses, etc. I'd also like to help create game nights on a regular basis; I am particularly fond of a Mad Lib Theater night (watch Jimmy Fallon's!). On a more personal front, I have found refuge in daily walks/runs/hikes around town to help destress and recenter myself; so I would also like to bring in a physical activity aspect to social/student life. There are many hikes around town that don't require driving and are great for a sunny afternoon or a picnic. Mental Health awareness is also something I would like to be involved in within GSC to continue and work to remove stigma not just for one month but on a daily basis.

Service Chair

Katie Edwards

I believe we all have a commitment to give back to our community in whatever way we are capable. As graduate students, we live busy lives where it can be difficult to balance our own work with personal lives, yet we still have that responsibility. As service chair I hope I can act as a liaison to help my fellow graduate students meet this responsibility by organizing events and providing opportunities to connect with the community.

Social Chair (2 positions)

Feruza Azimova

Colleen Goodhue

I am a first year MALS student and social event planning obsessive. This year I organized the Grad Salon, with the support of GSC. The event was an evening of curated Upper Valley and GRAD student artists performing in the Grad Lounge, with an open mic event that followed and plenty of wine and cheese. I would love to make this a recurring event.

I got married this year at NYC City Hall and planned a reception at a bar in Brooklyn where guests were placed on teams with people they didn't know and competed in light hearted trivia. Some of these teams hung out throughout the night and it was a delight to see how healthy competition brings people together.

With Upper Valley friends, I also planned an overnight board game trip to The Class of '66 Lodge which was a lot of fun and brought new friends together.

I am also a Dartmouth employee and recently planned a Top of the Hop reception for my department which included interactive booths and a game that got guests to introduce themselves to each other.

I'd love to plan some more casual weekly events for Grad Students including happy hours, board game nights, frisbee on the Green, retreats to DOC cabins, improv workshops and more. My goal for event planning would for any grad student to be able to attend and feel welcome even if they don't have a friend that is already attending.