“Sometimes it is hard to feel like you belong somewhere even when you have worked hard and earned the right to be there. I am the first person from my family to attend college, so the feeling of being an outsider is not foreign to me. I spent college feeling like the students around me were more qualified to be there, and throughout my professional life I often found myself doubting my skills and merit to have the jobs I did. I won’t claim that I have reached a point in my life where I never question my abilities, but my experiences and the people in my life help me to quiet the doubt when it tries to creep in.

Having parents who support me despite our differences is one thing that helps me push past feelings of self-doubt. I had a passion for reading as a child, a trait that my parents didn’t relate to but always fostered. I also was an active member of a church for a faith my parents didn’t share, yet they never told me I should not attend. My hobbies and beliefs never really aligned with theirs but, rather than pushing me to try things they liked, they encouraged me to pursue my own interests. This support helped me greatly when I decided to try new things, like going to college, because I had never been taught that the unknown was bad.

My passion is another instrumental part of my confidence. In my youth, I was passionate about my views. I was bold in my opinions and strong in my words. While many of my core values have not changed, it is interesting to realize that that passion acted as a barrier protecting against my insecurities. Today, I am passionate about my work and community. I am part of the Dartmouth Center for Social Impact team, and every day I help young adults find ways to use their values and skills to help improve the Upper Valley and beyond. I often see a younger version of myself in them, and I hope that the passion that gives me confidence to lead gives them the support they need to thrive.”–Tracy Dustin-Eichler, Hartford, VT.

September 6, 2021