T.A. Just Mean

Barbara Carson, ‘20, a T.A. for Math 23 is, when it comes to grading homework, just mean. 

“I got a homework assignment back to me with a problem circled and red pen that just said ‘you can’t do this,’” said Brianna Gallo ‘21. “I mean, she probably meant some step in the problem, but circling the whole thing and not putting any details made it seem like she was trying to say math wasn’t just for me.”

Carson didn’t stop there. 

“I expected the critique on my work to be about the math,” said James Walter, ‘21, “but it started there and went off.” Walter picked up his homework. “This is a problem set, right?” he began, then reading allowed, “‘James, you should know to use the product rule if you’re taking a second derivative of e^x^2. That’s basic math. You should also know how to wear deodorant every day because everyone can smell you and that’s probably why Sarah doesn’t want to date you anymore. You’re a slob. 17/22.’” James sighed, contemplative. “At least I got a passing grade on the homework,” he said. 

Carson was removed as a T.A. after complaints arose from her placement of the homework box along a kemeny trash can, as well as one particular problem set comment. 

“I definitely didn’t know what I was doing,” said Amanda Spencer ‘22, delicately. “But it was due on Friday at 5PM, you know? So I had to turn it in.” She took a deep breath. “Actually, I don’t want to read it out loud, but here it is.”

The red text indicating a circle the entire homework said, “Amanda, you are dumb. You are your parents’ least favorite. Make sure to go to office hours if you have any questions and remember to show your work.”

-SL ’22

Be the first to comment on "T.A. Just Mean"