Dartmouth Student Would Give Anything to be Suffering at Dartmouth Instead of Home

As her high school friends return to college after Thanksgiving, Jenna Davis ’22 would “literally hitch-hike, like it’s 1976 and I’m trying to get murdered” to Hanover from her native Jacksonville, Florida.

“I was excited for break because it was so miserable at the end of the term, and I wanted to see my friends from home,” explained Davis. “Now I’ve seen them, and they’re gone. What am I supposed to do for five weeks? Talk to my parents?”

“All I talked about weeks 8 through 10 was going home,” said Davis, “but I meant, like, to go back to how my life was in high school. That’s not how home is now. There’s nothing for me to do here except have tense arguments with my parents over dinner about how I don’t have any plans for my life. I don’t have any money to travel or anything, and I can’t get a job to get money because what employer would want to train me for me to only be there like 4 weeks? All I can do is fill out applications, clean out my closet, and watch Netflix. I want to die.”

According to Davis, December at home is so “mind-numbingly boring and isolating” that she is nostalgic for 10 days ago when she cried in a 4FB study room at 2:30 A.M. over the finals she was about to fail, her third breakup of the term, the 20 hours of sleep she had gotten that past week, her growing alcoholism, having to re-rush in winter, her undiagnosed strep throat, her existential dread, and the bitter cold.

“I miss Dartmouth so much,” said Davis. “I cannot wait for 20W!”

-IC’22

Be the first to comment on "Dartmouth Student Would Give Anything to be Suffering at Dartmouth Instead of Home"