This page has links to research in progress and published in the past couple of years, grouped by topic. A full list of my research is on my CV, which is available on the Welcome page of this site. If you want a copy of something that’s not available on this page, send me an email.
- “Searching for a Bright Line: The first year of the Trump presidency.” Co-authored with Gretchen Helmke, Brendan Nyhan, Mitchell Sanders, and Susan C. Stokes. March 2018.
Electoral System Design
- “Electoral System Design in New Democracies” July 2016. Oxford Handbook of Electoral Systems. Erik Herron, Robert Pekkanen, and Matthew Soberg Shugart, editors. Forthcoming 2017.
- “Compulsory Voting & Income Inequality: Evidence for Lijphart’s Proposition from Venezuela.” Co-authored with Yusaku Horiuchi. Latin American Politics & Society 59(2):122-144. May 2017.
- “Electoral Formula and Fragmentation in Hong Kong” Journal of East Asian Studies:1-17. April 2017.
- “Malapportionment and Ideological Bias in Chilean Electoral Districts.” Latin American Politics and Society 58(3):123-133. Fall 2016.
- “Institutions as Causes and Effects: North African Electoral Systems During the Arab Spring.” Co-authored with Tarek Masoud and Andrew Reynolds. American Political Science Association conference paper. August 2015.
- “District Magnitude and Representation of the Majority’s Preferences: A Comment and Reinterpretation.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. Public Choice 154:139-148. 2013.
- “Consequences of electoral rules for patterns of redistribution and regulation.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. Perspectives on Politics 11(3):820-824. September 2013.
- “Political scientists as electoral system engineers.” Co-authored with Simon Hix, Mala Htun, Shaheen Mozzafar, G. Bingham Powell, and Andrew Reynolds. Perspectives on Politics 11(3):827-840. September 2013.
- Fixing Afghanistan’s Electoral System. Co-authored with Andrew Reynolds. Afghan Research and Evaluation Unit. Kabul, Afghanistan. May 2012.
- “Getting Elections Wrong.” Co-authored with Andrew S. Reynolds. Journal of Democracy 23(1):164-168. January 2012.
- “The Impact of Election Systems.” Co-authored with Andrew S. Reynolds. Journal of Democracy 22(4):36-47. October 2011.
- “The electoral sweet spot: Low-magnitude proportional electoral systems.” Co-authored with Simon Hix. American Journal of Political Science 55(2):383-397. April 2011.
- What Students Think About Campus Diversity. Collaborative with Yusaku Horiuchi. Book manuscript in progress. Estimated completion: January 2018.
- Diversity in Faculty Hiring on Two University Campuses: A Comparison of Faculty and Student Preferences using Conjoint Analysis. Working paper co-authored with Kevin Carman, Katherine Clayton, Yusaku Horiuchi, Mala Htun, and Brittany Ortiz. July 2017
- Politics of Campus Diversity: Understanding Students’ Preferences via Conjoint Analysis. Working paper co-authored with Madeline M. Brown, Katherine P. Clayton, Yusaku Horiuchi, and Lauren K. Martin. April 2017.
Conspiracy Theory Beliefs
- “Who believes in conspiracy theories in Venezuela?” Working paper. July 2017.
- “An inflated view of the facts? How preferences and predispositions shape conspiracy beliefs about the Deflategate scandal.” Co-authored with Brendan Nyhan, Ben Valentino, and Mingnan Liu. Research and Politics:1-9. July-September 2016.
- “Two imperfect surveys of conspiracy theory belief in Venezuela: Crowdsourcing a diagnosis?” Co-authored with Brendan Nyhan and Thomas Zeitzoff. February 2016.