How the Growth Mindset helped me make a perfect score on the SAT Writing Section

Motivational Picture. Caption: Keep Calm and Ace SAT

We've talked a lot about the benefits of developing a Growth Mindset. We've also discussed the Four Steps to Adopting a Growth Mindset. Now, I'd like to share a personal anecdote on how the Growth Mindset impacted my academic life.

It was during middle school – I was taking an SAT Writing Section Prep course. At the time, I struggled with English grammar. I remember scoring so low on the SAT practice tests that I barely passed the class. Meanwhile, my classmates would make decent scores with ease. It was discouraging.

There were many times when I was tempted to believe that I would never score well on the SAT Writing Section. But every time I brought home a low score, my mom would tell me not to worry. She said that I would improve with continued effort. I didn’t realize it at the time, but she was telling me to view my challenges with a Growth Mindset. Just because I received disappointing scores, didn’t mean that I was hopeless. I could still improve with effort.

I started to view my low SAT Writing Section scores in a different light. I let them motivate me to do better. I kept taking practice tests to improve my understanding. By the time junior year of high school rolled around, I scored a perfect 800/800 on the SAT English section. It was during that SAT Writing Section Prep course that I learned how to replace my Fixed Mindset with a Growth Mindset.

Since then, I've tried to approach every aspect of academics with a Growth Mindset. Whenever I face a challenging course or bring home a discouraging quiz grade, I remember to view these setbacks through a Growth Mindset. By doing so, I'm able to move past these setbacks, and strive to do better on the next exam.

If a class or subject doesn't come easily at first, don't get discouraged. If you receive a low midterm grade, don't give up. Your story is not over, you can overcome these setbacks and still make a great grade. Dig your heels in, and keep on striving. With time, you'll yield the benefits of your perseverance.

Hope that you enjoyed this post!

-Jonathan A. Lu '19