Kresge Physical Sciences Library
& Cook Mathematics Collection
Quarterly Newsletter: Winter 2014
This is a quarterly electronic newsletter to update you on what’s happening in your Library! Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have questions or suggestions!
Happy New Year!
Looking back on Fall 2013
- Kresge librarians worked with the following courses:
- Prof. Hickox’s Astronomy 2/3
- Prof. Koch’s Writing 5
- Prof. Kozek’s Math 5
- We welcomed new graduate students in Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Math, Computer Science, and Physics & Astronomy to the Library with orientations and intro sessions.
- A number of Earth Sciences grad students took a special tour of Rauner Special Collections Library, and viewed remarkable items including an original diary from Thomas Orde-Lees of the HMS Endurance, photographs from two centuries of polar and cold region expeditions, maps and materials related to the geology of New Hampshire, and other fascinating objects
- We participated in the annual Library Open House for the Class of 2017 in early September.
- Our Fall InfoPro Seminars ran during the month of October.
- We participated in International Open Access Week with an information table on the first floor of Fairchild.
- Mad About Science Contest was our first Halloween-themed contest. Congrats to all our winners!
- Here’s the annual Our Community of Scientists slideshow.
- Judith Lerner displayed her paintings on the Art Wall through December.
- Gear Up was held in 2 locations this December and drew a sizable crowd.
- Authorea co-founder Alberto Pepe visited DCAL for a presentation and discussion on this LaTeX authoring tool.
Winter Term Staffing and Hours
- This term Kresge will be open Monday-Thursday 8am-1am, Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 11am-10pm, and Sunday 11am-1am.
- A search is underway to hire another Physical Sciences Librarian. Review of applications began December 9th and will continue until the position is filled.
- Shirley Zhao will continue to fill the role of library liaison to the Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Tracy Snow, who joined Kresge as Information Associate in late July, will be wrapping up work at the end of January. She will continue working part-time in Rauner as the Reference Specialist.
Collections and Resources Update
- The Library added several new software subscriptions: Authorea and BrowZine. Also, thanks to a great collaboration with the Chemistry Department, we’ve been able to provide access to ChemBioDraw Ultra for chem department affiliates.
- We completed the project to clear out older, superseded editions of books to make way for current editions, and removing duplicate copies of books from the collection.
- We are also continually adding new books to the collection. Please drop by Kresge to peruse our New Books shelf or check the new acquisitions lists.
- If there’s a new book that you think would make a great addition to the library, please suggest a purchase!
Research/Information Guide Highlights
Select Library-wide Events
- Kresge Library Tuesday Brown Bag Lunch series! Check our current listings for this term’s workshops and discussions.
- eResources Fair is taking place January 14 from 10am-3pm in Baker Main Hall.
- Check out the Dartmouth Events Calendar for campus-wide events!