20W-Undergraduate Fellows & Scholars

20W Scholars

Nicole Tiao ’20: I am a senior at Dartmouth from Cincinnati, Ohio. I joined RMS because the program sounded like a great way to expand my interests. I’m generally interested in understand how liminal populations are created and how space is used to create and maintain liminality and a social hierarchy. By liminality, I mean a marginalized population neglected and oppressed by dominant society (e.g. homeless peoples and black and brown communities). RMS brings together scholars from different fields that each could build on my interest. The events and speakers we have are a great way for me to see how liminality is examined and approached in different fields. It’s really exciting to be involved in a community of both students and professors who care about my same interests. I applied to be a scholar so I could focus on researching my interests with guidance from experts.

Project Title: Examining how the distribution of land surface temperature in Los Angeles is an example of environmental racism

Noah Campbell ’21: I am from Richmond, Virginia, majoring in Government and minoring in African and African American Studies. My interests broadly are surrounding Black Diaspora Thought, solidarity, independence movements, an cultural production, mainly through music. My current research is focused on the West Papuan independence movement in Indonesia, hoping to trace a line of potential solidarity between the Black Atlantic Diaspora and the Melanesian West Papuans while highlighting their particular history at the intersection of indigenous and Black identity. I am interested in RMS primarily because the three topics of race, migration, and sexuality are primary forces that shape the world around us, requiring deeper analysis and study.

Project Title: Black Oceanic Merdeka: West Papuan Independence, Black Transnationalism, and the Anti Black Experience

Evan Barton ’20: I am from Tulsa Oklahoma. I’m Cherokee and Choctaw, and I’m at Native American Studies Major with minors in French and Sociology. My research interests are about Incarceration if Native Women in Oklahoma, for Oklahoma has the highest rate of incarcerated women in the United States. I hope to learn more about the interdisciplinary perspectives and intersections available through RMS that I have begun to observe in my studies throughout Dartmouth.

Project Title: Indigeneity and Incarceration: Sentencing, Excommunication, and Reintegration of Native Women in Oklahoma

20W Fellows

Kathryn Keyser ’20: I am a Sociology major modified with Hispanic Studies and an English minor from Cranbury, NJ. I am excited to join the RMS fellows and further my study of sociology, particularly my interest in immigration law, in a more intersectional way.

Maria Teresa Hidalgo Quintana ’22: I am from San Juan, Puerto Rico, and my intended majors are History and Government, as well as an intended minor in Russian Area Studies. I want to be part of RMS because it is a groundbreaking consortium that will have the tools and means necessary to bring topic of conversations that need to happen more on campus, while also fomenting my own research in these disciplines.

Sirajum Sandhi ’21: I was born and raised in Bangladesh and have been living in New York City for the past six years as an asylee. I am studying Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at Dartmouth and pursuing a minor in Global Health. I am interested in RMS to explore the construction of normative gender and sexuality in South Asia, and erasure of local queer grassroots movements and agency as a result of Euro-American categories being imposed on the rest of the world.

Pierce Wilson ’23: I am from Canton, MI, which is between Detroit and Ann Arbor. I’m interested in both Computer Science and Government, and I think I minor in Sustainability. Social justice and equity are important to me on a personal level, and I want to explore Dartmouth’s commitment to these issues. I also want to meet and network with the faculty in the identity-based departments.

Anne Yates Pinkney ’20: I am from a farm in upstate New York and study History and Hispanic Studies. I am particularly interested with critical analyses of neoliberal ideologies in Latin America and their effects among communities at the local level. I am excited to be a part of the RMS fellows cohort as the consortium actively seeks to uncouple academia from its traditionally siloed nature and foster more interdisciplinary and critically conscious perspectives.

Madeline Levangie ’21:I am a geography major with minors in chemistry and women’s, gender, and sexuality studies. I am interested in environmental justice, intersectional feminism, social climate change theory, catastrophe theory, alternative forms of farming, how colonialism and religion have affected the human relationship with nature cross-culturally, and a lot of other things as well! I am attracted to RMS because I believe that all social justice issues are intersectional and that race, migration, and sexuality are incredibly important topics in issues that I am concerned with. I hope to learn from my peers who are in the program about what they are studying and their own life experiences and for this experience in RSM to help me learn about how I can make a meaningful impact with my research.