All It Takes Is All You Got

I’m a relative newcomer on the Dartmouth Tri Team, but despite that I have been around the block a few times. I did my first triathlon the summer before 8th grade, and since then I’ve taken part in races from sprints to Ironmans. A lot of friends have asked me how I got into triathlon, and to be honest I don’t really remember. My parents were always big on swimming, biking, running, and getting my sister Molly and me outdoors, but they never tried putting the three together.

With a new season comes new goals, and I’m excited to make a run at qualifying for the 2019 Ironman World Championship at this year’s Ironman Wisconsin, arguably the best full distance triathlon in the continental U.S. (If you don’t believe me feel free to check out the unbiased and irrefutable voters’ choice awards on the race website.)

If fall training were any indicator of how I’d do this season, I probably would have tried to go pro in the first few weeks of this year. But while my fitness appears to be on track with my goal and steadily improving, I’ll admit that the winter months have been more of a drain on my mental energy than I had hoped. I’ve tried to stay creative to keep the mental energy up. Steal a glance my way in the gym, and you’ll see I’m the one lip-syncing Panic! At The Disco on the treadmill like my life depends on it.

A lot of people wanted me to write a day in the life of an Ironman, and on that front I can say they’re sure to be disappointed. Yes, I usually exercise 2-3 times, but I also prioritize these workouts over arguably more important things, like schoolwork, socializing, and rest. I eat a horrendously erratic diet, and while it sometimes seems I could eat anything and not gain weight, I often feel like I’m not fueling properly for the task at hand.

No race I’ve done in the past should inform anyone’s opinion of me. As I’ve grown less impetuous in my racing decisions, I’ve slowly learned to stop taking accomplishments for granted. Sure, I train a lot, but I have more time to train than anyone I compete against, with the exception of professional triathletes. I may have finished a few Ironmans, but I’ve only done so with generous support and love of my parents, a luxury most people will never experience.

The “Ironman” is an ideal. It’s the parent who works full time, takes care of their kids, and still manages to go running in the early hours of the morning. It’s the people who overcome what they once thought impossible of themselves in order to do something great. It’s experiencing the inspiration of others in an attempt to inspire yourself, because you’re tougher than you think you are, and you can do more than you think you can.

After all, if you’re gonna tri, you might as well go all the way…

SBR,

Evan

About the Author

Evan Wetzel is a ‘19 from Waukesha, Wisconsin. He enjoys sunrise open water swims, days off from biking, and running between 5-20 minutes per mile.