THE WESTLETTER for the week of 10/8/17
For a version with full photos and graphics click here: westletter_2017.10.8.
To add the West House calendar to your own calendar applications, you can use this iCal link.
Westians in the News
- Drew Hunnicutt ’19 had two touchdown receptions, including the decisive score with 34 seconds left, asDartmouth completed its largest comeback ever to defeat Yale at Homecoming. Congratulations to Drew and the whole team!
- West House faculty affiliate Yusaku Horiuchi (Government and Quantitative Social Science) was profiled in the D this week, answering questions about his wide-ranging international research, including a recent article about public perception of refugees.
SUNDAY NIGHT FOOD IN THE HYPHEN NOW!
Join UGAs Drew and Jae for “breakfast” in the Hyphen tonight at 9 – all are welcome!
RESUME/INTERVIEW Help this Tuesday
Come join Resident Fellow and Tuck student Alen Amini for a special career session from 8-10 PM on Tuesday, October 10th in the first floor Fahey Lounge. He is happy to:
* help with resume editing specific to career tracks
* help with consulting case interviews
* read and edit cover letters
* connect you with Tuck students focused on particular industries
If you are requesting consulting case prep, reach out to him individually in advance: email@example.com. He looks forward to seeing all of you on Tuesday!
HP Tea WEDNESDAY with photographer/author Eli Burakian ‘00
West House is pleased to invite the Dartmouth community to our weekly Hous Professor’s Tea, in the first-floor lounge of Fahey Hall, with snacks and drinks starting at 4pm and a guest discussion at 4:30. This week (Wednesday, Oct 11) we are delighted to host Eli Burakian ’00, Dartmouth Photographer, who will discuss his recent hike of the Vermont Long Trail and his work on guidebooks for the MALS program. At the tea we will also have advisors for Dickey Center internships. All are welcome!
Outdoor movie on Saturday
Your Exec Board is planning an outdoor screening of “Cabin in the Woods” on the evening of Friday the 13th. More details TBA!
Community Dinner on Sunday: WestoberFest
Our next West House Community Dinner will be next Sunday, Oct 15th at 6pm. The catering will be German dishes with theme of “WestoberFest”.
IM soccer Friday
The next IM soccer game is against School House (in a rematch of last year’s final) this Friday, Oct 13 at 4:50pm(be at the field by 4:30!) It’s still possible to sign up; if interested in playing, please contact our IM Captain, Resident Fellow Cory Cline at Cory.T.Cline.TH@dartmouth.edu. IM registration is FREE for members of House teams.
Invite your student group to DINNER at the HP’S Residence
For any Westian who is a member of a student group (musical group, sports team, activist group, outdoors club, anything!) and would like to extend a dinner invitation to your group (including all students, not just West House members), please contact Ryan.C.Hickox@dartmouth.edu. Thursdays usually work best but other nights can work as well. (Note that the most we can host our residence is about 25 or 30). Looking forward to seeing you in our home!
Exec Board meeting
Tonight the Exec discussed:
– plan for movie night
– update on Community Dinner
– input on gear orders
– House facilities working group
– visits to other instiutions
The next Exec meeting wll be Sunday after the Community Dinner
Wrap-up of the week
- This weekend we had a great time in Fahey for the first-year pre-Bonfire party on Fri night and at the West House tailgate on Saturday! Special thanks to Pamela, Alen, and Jeremy who made over 200 breakfast sandwiches!
- Last Sunday we had a very enjoyable Community Dinner with members of West House from across the College and Community.
Resident Fellow Office Hours
The West House Resident Fellows: Alen Amini (Business); Cory Cline (Engineering); Jennifer Franks (Biology); Sam Modder (Engineering/Art) will be holding regular Office Hours together in the Hyphen (between Butterfield and Russell Sage) from 9 to 10 on Thursday evenings. They’re a great resource — please don’t hesitate to get to know them!
Free HOP tickets
West House has available free tickets for House members to attend world-class performances at the Hopkins Center each term. A full list of shows for Spring term is available here. If you’d like tickets, please contact Pamela at Pamela.K.Duffy@dartmouth.edu.
Sat Oct 14 2017 – 8:00 PM
Two acclaimed California-based ensembles join for new music of the Pacific Rim.
Tue Oct 17 2017 – 7:00 PM
Rollicking “little orchestra” serves up multinational, multi-genre music, with a flair.