Moving to Plainfield when I was five allowed me to put down deep roots, as I am still living here almost 60 years later. As a shy five-year-old, I was smitten with the landscape and pace of life. I used to wonder what it looked like when the Indigenous Abenaki people lived here and still try to imagine.

The seemingly infinite woods, brooks, fields, rocks, vegetation, wildlife, and fresh air were like an exciting treasure hunt for my brother and me. One older sister and I explored the deserted studios and homes of the Cornish Colony artists and writers. Another older sister and I waited on tables for the local Gun and Rifle Club once and walked home a mile in the dark. I learned to ride a bicycle and explored the town by pedaling all over the roads to school and friends’ houses. I learned about gardening and berry picking. The four seasons, the daylight, the moonlight, the fireflies, the “Maxfield Parrish” skies at the end of the day, and the call of a whippoorwill have all been so magical to me. To this day, I enjoy discovering all the miracles our town offers.

Living in this beautiful place all my life has afforded me some incredible opportunities. I met my future husband while haying – he grew up in Cornish. I got married in my parents’ back yard. Our children were born at three different homes in town and used our home as their base of learning. I have served the community in various ways – working as a clerk in the town’s post office for 7 years, serving as a substitute mail carrier, and advocating for our wonderful library. I enjoy meeting elders in town, helping with childcare for local little ones, and developing long lasting friendships. Residing here has given me a profound love of life for all its miracles and strength to cope with life’s challenges.

I literally helped my husband bury our infant son in Plainfield soil nearly forty years ago. My mother was also buried by her family next to our baby. My father’s ashes have also become part of the soil of my beloved town. My ashes, too, will become part of this land I have been so blessed to thrive upon.” –Diane Rogers, Plainfield, NH

June 15, 2021