“I am absolutely not the same person I was when I finished medical school. I think that is a really good thing, maybe even the point of life. There are a lot of people that get to the end of their training or start their first job and go on autopilot. They keep doing the same thing day after day – and they miss a lot. But the world is a really big place with a lot of exciting things and a lot of exciting people. I believe you need to stretch your brain and push yourself. You need to push out of your comfort zone and try new things, even when they scare you a little. After all, the best ideas always seem a little crazy until someone has the courage to do them. 

So what’s my crazy idea? Well, why shouldn’t a heart transplant doctor start an LGBT clinic? A lot of medicine takes the approach that good LGBTQ care is just part of regular primary care because LGBTQ patients are not any different than any other patient. I agree with about 75% of that, but I grew up in an area and in a time where it was not okay to be gay. There are probably still parts of the Upper Valley where it’s still really hard to be an out gay person. It might be difficult for these individuals to navigate that within their family and within the larger healthcare system. So sometimes, we need to hang the rainbow flag to make it easier for everyone to access care. We need to make it abundantly, over-the-top, painfully obviously clear that this is a safe space. We are here to help anyone and everyone. We are all in this together and we are all a family. 

I have realized that my biggest motivation in life is helping people figure out what lights their soul on fire and then giving them the courage to go do that. I am lucky to have an incredible team of nurses, med students and other volunteers who do this every day with our LGBTQ clinic. They are passionate about healthcare, equality and this community. Watching people find something that they are truly passionate and supporting them while they chase their dreams gives me more satisfaction than anything else in the world.”

– Lauren Gilstrap, Hanover, NH

August 18, 2022