“I was born and raised in France where I trained in ballet, Russian character dance and modern dance. At 25, with a student visa, I had the opportunity to travel to the US to study Merce Cunningham technique in New York City. I was supposed to return to France when the visa expired. But I fell in love with a dashing American man, and yes… I got a green card. After the birth of my son, my husband and I moved to New Jersey, where I first taught ballet, then entered a physical therapy program. It was not until 1992 that we came to the Upper Valley. We first settled in Etna, him working as a teacher and me, working as a physical therapist. After my son’s high school graduation, we moved to the hills of South Strafford, VT. All through these years I never let go of dancing. I danced in the Dartmouth Dance Ensemble productions of “The Table” in 2006, and “Cistern” in 2007.

For five years and until 2016, I had the chance to live and work in Martha’s Vineyard with my second husband. It is there that my interest for dancemaking evolved with a group led by Sandy Broyard and in collaboration with the dancers from The Yard.  When it was time to come back to the Upper Valley, we chose to live in Corinth VT, a little further away; Some would even ask, “Where is that?”  In Vermont, I met numerous talented dance artists, but what struck me as odd was the paucity of dance productions, especially involving local and regional dance artists. So, a couple years ago with the help of friends and dance lovers, the Junction Dance Festival was created. The idea was to provide a venue for dance artists, choreographers, and performers from New Hampshire, Vermont, and neighboring states but also to encourage community participation by offering free workshops in all dance styles. 

The Upper Valley is a place I know very well. I like the contrast between seasons, getting together with my friends and taking a daily walk in the woods behind my house, with my dog, Manou. I feel I am most productive on these walks: things come spontaneously in my mind, the rhythm of my steps gives me clarity and inspiration. One life motto I like to live by is: “slow down”. Not particularly meaning to do less, but to take it easy.”

– Elizabeth Kurylo, Corinth, VT

February 12, 2023