“I am trying to be conscious of letting my kids be aware they are half Chinese and be proud of the cultural diversity. They are bilingual. I feel that’s a priceless treasure I can pass onto them, and it’s much more respected and appreciated in society these days. I had to be really consistent about only speaking Mandarin to them though.

When I was in graduate school, I hung out with other international students. I think we felt more connected because we could understand each other’s situations. It’s good and bad. If you only stay with a small community, you are somewhat isolated and don’t really blend in with the local society, but you are acknowledged and accepted. At the same time, it is hard to maintain your own identity if you cater to the local culture. It is very tricky.

The biggest obstacle I have faced is the language barrier and culture difference. My English was okay when I came here, but not good enough to where I felt confident to initiate conversations smoothly. It probably took me ten years to finally get over the hump. I also grew up in a city where we learned not to talk to strangers. But here, being able to start conversations with people you don’t know seems to be a social advantage. I do feel the Upper Valley is a great area to raise kids. It is safe, with abundant resources, good healthcare, and great access to nature. It’s also close to Boston and NYC if you need a city fix. 

I definitely love pick-up volleyball. It is a very fun group. It gives me the “me time” to focus on something I enjoy doing and am somewhat good at. It is also physical. I appreciate all the friends I know from volleyball as well as the various conversations I have with them.

I think it’s easier to use a medium to connect people, such as food. My husband and I have been hosting hotpots at our house. We got so many local people to like hotpot. Because we have a universal appreciation for food, it helps facilitate a connection. And we have found that we can get them to understand Chinese culture more too.” 

– Lixi Kong, Lebanon, NH

May 6, 2024