New Exec Interview 21-22

With the team's transition to new leadership at the start of the spring term, we elect new captains and appoint new team members to our Exec Board. This year, we are proud to add eight team members to our team of execs, working to manage team functions ranging from gear allocation to team finances to alumni relations. While the start of every term provides us with an opportunity to introduce all of our execs to the team, we figured the best way we could accomplish this given the current circumstances was by interviewing them.

Abbi Fischer '23

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Abbi Fischer '23, she/her

Why did you decide to join the Exec Board?

I wanted to be involved in planning for events and shaping the future direction of Dartmouth Triathlon! I've really loved being a part of the team and wanted to contribute.

What is your favorite quality in a triathlete/teammate?

My favorite quality in a teammate is a sense of adventure! Hanover has so many great places to bike and run, and I love exploring different routes and trails. I really appreciate when teammates are excited about exploring new routes (because rip road is boring)!

What is your favorite triathlon memory, or which triathlon experience are you most looking forward to?

I am really looking forward to my first race with the team! I loved our end of term time trials my freshman year, and I'm so excited to finally race with the team.

What is your favorite pump-up song?

It's a tie between All Night Longer and Fergalicious 😉

What is your second favorite leg and why?

Biking! This is a hard one, but I think that running is my favorite, with biking being a close second. I'm pretty new to cycling, and I still slightly terrified on busy roads. I like being able to ride inside though, especially during the winter.

What color of (running) shoe makes you the fastest?

PINK! There's no other answer.

Evelyn Hatem '24

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Evelyn Hatem '24 she/her

Tri team felt like a first home for me on campus and I wanted to help spread the joy of the tri team community to more people.

Creative cheering abilities

24-hr relay!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Countdown (Homecoming Live version) by Beyonce

Bike, though maybe bike will surpass run someday (once I learn how to not tip over using clipless pedals)

white; makes me run so fast the mud doesn't have time to get them dirty

Katie Fearon '23

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Katie Fearon, 2023, she/her/hers

I love the tri club!! Having been part of the Dartmouth triathlon team for almost two years now, I’ve found the team to be central to my Dartmouth experience. I wanted to be part of the leadership team of a group that has been significant to my time at Dartmouth. When I joined the team freshman fall, I immediately felt welcomed and part of a supportive community. I decided to join the exec board because I wanted to continue being a part of a team that fosters a strong sense of camaraderie and community and give back to a community that has meant so much to me.

Dedicated, grounded, and able to laugh at themselves (sorry I know that's three, but I couldn't choose one!)

My favorite triathlon memory is wake-ups 19F! I'm looking forward to completing a real race with the team!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Shower by Becky G (trips song!) and I love it by Icona Pop

The bike! It's logistically more challenging than going for a run since you need a bike, but easier than going for a swim since no pool is required. Also you can go fast downhill which is always fun 🙂

What color of (running) shoe makes you the fastest? bright blue/teal

Katie Walther '24

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Katie Walther, 24, pronouns she/hers

I've really enjoyed my experiences with Tri Team previously so far and wanted to get more involved with the team

The ability to make others laugh even during the hardest workouts!

My favorite memory so far has been running the Halloween 24 hr relay

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Whoa Whoa Whoa by Watsky

My second favorite leg is definitely the bike, because I love swimming, and running hurts.

Neon green

Sarah Hutchinson '22-turned-'23

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Sarah Hutchinson, she/her/hers, '22 turned '23

I joined the Exec Board because the team is an important community for me, and triathlon has become a central part of my identity on and off campus. I value the camaraderie of the team and the satisfaction of training for and competing in our indoor triathlons, and I’m looking forward to USTA competition when it becomes safe! I wanted to further cultivate the supportive, encouraging, and athletic team environment, and help shape the future of the team that has meant so much to me.

I love that our teammates are supportive and adventurous. It makes for good memories and an inspiring community.

We had an indoor triathlon on my birthday my first year, and that was pretty fun. I also haven't done a real triathlon yet, so I'm super excited for when I can do that!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Can't Hold Us by Macklemore

Swimming! I've been a runner since I was 10, so that will always be #1, but swimming has grown on me a lot since my first Tri swim practice, after which I was avoided swimming for a month. I like how calming it can be (listening to my bubbles), I like that it challenges your whole body, and I love open water swims.

A nice mint green

Vaishnavi Katragadda '24

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Vaishnavi Katragadda, '24, she/her/hers

I wanted to be a part of the group that helps run the team that's become so central to my life at Dartmouth, even in a mostly virtual setting. I also love planning and organizing events, so I’m thrilled to (hopefully) be organizing in-person triathlons soon!

Humor! The harder we're laughing, the easier the workouts.

I’m looking forward to team dinners when I get back on campus!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

“I Love It” by Icona Pop

Biking. I don’t enjoy biking enough for it to be my favorite, but it’s still enjoyable and offers a reprieve on downhill segments.

I’m gonna say pink, because I ran my fastest cross country season/had the fewest injuries running in those shoes.

Valentina "Tina" Fernandez '24

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Valentina ("Tina"), '24, she/her/hers

The amazingly kind people that make up Tri-Team!!!

Positive energy!!

Favorite memory: Dogford loop with Colin, Katie, and Wells!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Century by Tiesto and Calvin Harris

Cycling is definitely my favorite, but also the one i have least experience with. running would be my second favorite because the feeling of runner's high after a good run is simply unparalleled. a good run boosts my mood for the whole day!

NEON YELLOW

Wells Willett '24

What is your name, year, and pronouns?

Wells Willett, '24, he/him/his

I joined the Exec Board because I want to become more involved in the team! (And because I want to start a tandem bike relay)

Enthusiasm!

I am looking forward to any races with the Tri team!

What is your favorite pump-up song?

Hakuna Matata

My second favorite leg is my right leg. And the run leg, because I love to bike and I sink in water.

Black

We're very excited to welcome these eight wonderful people to our Exec Board, and can't wait to see what we accomplish over the next year as a Board!

SBR,

The Exec Board