Kathy Oprea ’10 reflects on her interest in environmental law while a student at Dartmouth and shares her experience at the DOE

Where did you grow up? What led you to Dartmouth?

I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland, OH. I didn’t know much about Dartmouth except that it was in the Ivy League before I applied and was accepted. When I visited the weekend before Dimensions, I was immediately struck by the warmth of the students and professors I had the opportunity to meet. I loved the small-town atmosphere, too!

What did you do during your time at Dartmouth?

I majored in economics and environmental studies, with a minor in French. As part of my major, I was a Presidential Research Fellow with Professor Richard Howarth in the ENVS department, and later wrote a senior thesis with him. I also went on the French FSP in Paris during my sophomore winter. I was involved with Rockefeller Center programs and led several of the discussion groups during my time at Dartmouth. Last, but not least, I was a member of the Varsity Sailing Team and Alpha Xi Delta sorority.

How did you decide you wanted to go to law school after Dartmouth? Had you started college with law in mind?

I knew that I was interested in the law since I was in 7th grade! It was because of this intention that I early on decided economics was the most practical major for an aspiring law student, as it required an understanding of policy and relied heavily on logic. I actually took a class in environmental law while at Dartmouth, which cemented my interest in that particular subject area.

Can you describe your law school experience at George Washington University? What made you decide that it was the right time to go? Do you have any regrets about going to law school right after college, and if so, why?

Because I was certain of my intention to go to law school, I saw no point in delaying my start. Looking back, I do wish I would have taken a year to do something really different or unique or perhaps to live abroad. However, my then-boyfriend, now husband, was also starting graduate school in Washington, DC, and so it worked well for us to both move there. My experience at GW Law School was fine – I had a number of excellent professors and met many smart and passionate friends. Going to school in D.C., I had the opportunity to do part-time internships during the school year at a number of federal agencies and worked for an energy law firm during my 2L summer.

You clerked for judges at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission after law school. Can you talk a bit about your experience clerking? How did you decide to focus on nuclear law?

I had studied energy law at GW Law, and so when I was interviewed for a clerkship with the Atomic Safety and Licensing Board of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (ASLBP), I was able to at least express an opinion about a prominent topic in nuclear regulation – namely, the Department of Energy’s withdrawal of its application for a license to construct a repository for spent nuclear fuel at Yucca Mountain in Nevada. The ASLBP clerkship was unique in that I was paid at a GS-13 salary right out of law school, much higher than most federal clerkships, and it would count toward years of federal employment. I also had the opportunity to work with multiple different judges who made up panels of three for each nuclear licensing case. Many of the judges had significant technical expertise as nuclear engineers or hydrogeologists. In this position, I learned so much about the technical and legal aspects of nuclear regulation, and also about drafting judicial opinions.

How did your experiences at Dartmouth help to shape your career path?

As discussed above, I largely designed my path at Dartmouth to reflect my desire to go to law school and my interest in environmental law and economics. There is one rather unique way in which my economics background has benefited me in my current career. In 2017, I worked on an analysis regarding the effect of the Department of Energy’s transfers of uranium on the domestic uranium industries. My background in economics allowed me to better understand the economic models which we interpreted in our analysis and determination.

What jobs have you held since clerking? Can you share any reflections on your career trajectory so far?

In July 2015, I took a position as an attorney with the Department of Energy’s Office of General Counsel, under the Assistant General Counsel for Civilian Nuclear Programs. Although I was likely hired because of my experience with nuclear regulation, my work at DOE is quite different from what I focused on at the NRC. In the General Counsel’s office for any agency, most legal issues require analysis of the agency’s statutory and regulatory authority and include understanding of budget and bureaucratic processes as well as administrative law. Over the 3.5 years I have worked at DOE, I have taken on projects of increasing responsibility, including the Secretarial Determination and Analysis on uranium transfers which I mentioned above. I would say that I still have a lot to learn about how the agency as a whole functions, though!

You were recently selected for the Presidential Management Council fellowship for high-potential government leaders. What do you think have been the factors most important to your career success?

I have looked for opportunities to meet people in different offices within DOE and at other agencies, and to learn from their perspectives. The PMC program was the best way to see a completely different part of the government, working for the Navy at the Pentagon. The management and leadership styles which I absorbed through this experience have influenced my work at DOE since my return. I aim to continue to perform my current position at the highest level.

Do you have any set plans for the future?

The first thing on my “life plan” is to welcome my first child in June 2019. I am planning to take off 5 months, using sick leave and annual leave (the federal government does not provide maternity leave). Until then, I am trying to complete several outstanding projects and hopefully transition some more continuing work to others within my office. I am lucky that my supervisors and colleagues are supportive and understanding, and I am confident that when I return to work in the Fall I will be able to find a schedule which works for me and for my family.

What is the best advice you have ever been given (career-oriented or otherwise!)?

During my first summer internship after freshman year, I was lucky to have a fantastic mentor in my boss, Susan Luria ‘89. Early on, Susan told me that she was impressed that I was so confident in sharing my opinions, but that sometimes I should just listen more at meetings. I remember this advice when I am at meetings where each person finds it necessary to share some observation, even if it does not add to the conversation. Sometimes thoughtful listening and a well-crafted response later is much more effective!

Do you have any advice about making the best of your Dartmouth experience? Is there anything you wish you had known about your career path while a college student?

I wish I would have taken more unique and esoteric courses in departments unrelated to my major and minor. One of my favorite classes was titled “Assisted Reproduction in the 21st Century” and included professors of religion, sociology, and biology discussing this topic. It was absolutely fascinating!

What is your number one bucket list item for Dartmouth seniors?

A sunrise hike up Gile tower!

# # # # # # # # # #

July 6, 2019