Masking in the Library: Your FAQs Answered

If you’d only wear a mask,

if we’d all help with this task,

we could be done so much quicker,

which we’d all agree is hipper.

If you’d only wear a mask,

in your wisdom I would bask.

Asking you makes me feel dreadful,

I would rather be more helpful.

An Exert from If You’d Only Wear a Mask by Samara Cary

Masking is required in both the Dana Biomedical and Matthews Fuller Health Sciences libraries as with all public indoor spaces at Dartmouth College. It’s come to our attention that there are some questions around this policy, so we’d like to take a few moments to answer the ones we’re getting the most frequently.

Can I take my mask off in a study room?

No, you cannot. While we understand that you may be the only person studying in a closed study room, you still have to wear a mask. Study rooms are common spaces and you have to wear a mask in them.

Can I take my mask off after hours?

We’ve gotten this question a handful of times: no, you cannot. Even if you’re the only person in the library you still need to wear a mask as per the Dartmouth College policy. The library is a public space and you may not be alone for long.

Can I eat/drink in the library?

In accordance with the new policies released during the week of September 27th, eating is no longer allowed in the public areas of Dana Biomedical and Matthews Fuller Health Sciences libraries. The exception to this rule is the kitchen in Dana. At this time, we ask that you limit your time without a mask to 15 minutes and to maintain a distance of 6 feet to minimize the risk of transmission while eating.

You can still hydrate in both libraries, but we ask that you only lower your mask to take a sip.

Who makes the decision on when I will no longer need to wear a mask?

We are closely monitoring Dartmouth College’s policies as well as all Geisel communication when it comes to all Covid-19 safety protocols. Please remember that these policies are designed to keep everyone safe and healthy, including those with small children at home who are unable to get vaccinated. We will update our policies as directed and are happy to have been able to welcome so many of you to both libraries over the last couple of months.